Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find natural frequency of pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

structuresguy

Structural
Apr 10, 2003
US
Hi

I need to find the natural frequency of a tall, hollow steel round pole. basically it is a hollow steel pipe, 16" diameter.

Does someone know the equation for this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain gives various formulae for a "uniform bar...vibrating along its longitudinal axis, upper end fixed, lower end free".

The fundamental frequency of a beam is (1/(2*pi))*sqrt(K/M). Working this out for a cantilever with a uniform load (w)(selfweight) and a load at the end of the cantilever (P), the equation works out to f = 3.13 / sqrt(((P+0.236*w*L)*L^3)/(3*E*I)). P in kips, w in kips/inch, L in inches,

Light Pole, Flag Pole, these both seem to be cantilevered examples. Usually anything that is not fixed at the bottom and free at the top is not called a pole.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Actually it is a foul pole at a baseball stadium. It is indeed fixed at the base, and free at the top.

I am glad to see an equation. I used Staad to output the frequency, but not having enough experience with this, I wanted some manual equations to compare with. It is not in seismic zone, and is to find the gust factor for wind loading, to determine if it is considered a flexible structure, with the higher gust factor.

It might be overkill for a foul pole, but the stadium is municipally owned, and they are a good customer of ours, so I don't mind the extra effort.

Thanks for the Rourk's tip, I have a copy (as all engineers should) but didn't think to look in there.

Thanks for the input. I was already thinking about what type of foundation would be best. I was thinking that a drilled pier would probably give me the most stable base. I have loose sandy soils here. I am going to get with the geotechnical engineer for the job and see what he thinks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back