Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find Strain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shz713

Structural
Aug 21, 2015
AU
Hi,

I'm interested to find out the strain change along length of a member due to the applied stress/load. Can SAP2K provide such graph like displacement or moment? I think I can find it indirectly but not sure what exactly I'm supposed to do. Any comment guys?

Peace[highlight #F57900][/highlight]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

In the past I tried to do the same, No Luck :(. SAP doesn't report strain directly. You need to do post processing to arrive at that.

Step 1. Find Initial position of i and j nodes of sap - Arrive at Initial Length
Step 2. From the displacement + initial coordinates, calculate the displaced position. - Arrive at the deformed length
Step 3. Strain Calc

You can automate this using API or Excel (after exporting tables).

Thanks,

Dear Kristene

Thanks for your response. Sorry but I couldn't figure out your explanation. Let's say I have a S.S beam and run the analysis for point load @ center. From output tables, I export the joint coordinates and displacement (due to load) to the excel. Then what? Would you elaborate it for me possibly with an example?

Heaps of thanks [peace]

Hi,

For SS beam, create a point near each support, SAP reports displacement at joints. If you restrain Joint, No displacement.

Step 1, i = (0,0,0), J= (5,0,0) length = 5'
Step 2: under load, i+di = (0.01,0,0) j +dj = (5.05,0,0), Note sap reported disp are based on initail co-ordinates
Step 3: Calc length = sqrt((5.05-0.1)^2 +(0)^2 + (0)^2) = 5.04'

Strain = .04/5

Cheers!

Dear Kristene

Thanks again.

How you got 5.05 while the displacement is 0.01?
Plus, I reckon in sqrt((5.05-0.1)^2 length due to external load needs to be deducted from 0.01 not 0.1, right?

lastly, in Strain = .04/5 you used the strain formula (change in length divided the original length).

Thanks mate

can you help me to find the strain in the shear wall with this
Capture_wqglsv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back