Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find UG Standard toolbar button bit maps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadmantools

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2009
US
Does anyone know where I can find the standard toolbar button bit maps used on the menus?

I am trying would like to see all the unigraphics bit map images.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, I just uploaded 5 files to the GTAC 'Scratch' area:

NX_6_Bitmaps_16x16.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_24x24.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_32x32.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_48x48.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_misc.zip

Have fun.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The bitmaps are NOT used individually within the NX code but rather are encapsulated into .dll's for performance reasons, therefore there is no value, from a software installation and execution point of view, for including the libraries of individual bitmap files with the install kits. As for why we don't just include them anyway, the biggest reason is the extra space that it would require, nearly 100mb, for each downloaded copy of NX.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Just tp clarify - if you want to use the NX bitmaps in your own toolbars, you don't need to install the files, you just need to know the names, like "fileopen" or "extrude".

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Yes, what Mark stated is true, NX does NOT really care whether our code or your customization is calling the bitmap, as long as you get the name right, so if nothing else you can use the 'libraries' as a glorified reference-table, albeit it's like killing a fly with a sledgehammer ;-)

However, the real value in having the actual bitmap files is that they can be opened in whatever graphics editor that supports bitmap editing and you can customize them to meet your own unique needs. After all, why start from scratch if there's already something out there that is close or contains something which you could simply 'cut & paste' into a new icon bitmap.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

In addition to the above question, we are using NX 6.0.2.8 and I was wondering is it possible to create a custom button in NX that could launch a pdf file located on our network?

Yes, just enter the Customize mode, select the Commands tab, select the 'New Button' Category, then drag the 'New User Command' item to where you wish to place it in a toolbar. Now select this new button, press MB3 and select 'Edit Action', select the 'System Command' as the type and then enter the complete path name to the .pdf file.

Now you can go back and select the 'New Button', press MB3 and select 'Change Button Image' and either select one of the standard buttons images or browse to where you've saved a custom icon or whatever.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

I can only imagine! Now that I have this toolbar and custom button created is there a way to export the toolbar to share with my co-workers?

Hello,

would you be so kind to upload the bitmaps again to the GTAC "scratch" area?
It looks they are erased from that Folder...

With many thanks!

OK, I once more uploaded the 5 NX 6.0 bitmap files to the GTAC 'Scratch' area:

NX_6_Bitmaps_16x16.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_24x24.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_32x32.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_48x48.zip
NX_6_Bitmaps_misc.zip

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

The custom buttons and bitmaps can make for a bit of fun... I had one a couple years ago that was a toilet bitmap. It had no function but looked great up there with all the other "serious" buttons around it.

The other one was the Make Part button. When you focused on it the comment "Machines part complete, then gives a back massage." would show. But of coarse, it did nothing as well. Great one for the new guys NX setup though! :)

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back