How to fixture plate for stepping scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlagr21

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2017
CA
Hi all,

I am trying to run an FEA on a plate which is sitting on two surfaces with a gap, with the scenario being someone stepping on the plate in the gap.

We are approximating a 300lb person over that space. Normally I would know how to run this, but I am struggling with how to fixture or connect this. There would be no supporting load on either end, the plate would be free. I know roughly how to expect this to react in real life but cannot think of how to apply this with the Solidworks SIM software.

Can anyone suggest anything? I have attached a picture for an idea of what I am thinking.

(apologies if this seems simple, I do not used Solidworks SIM a lot).

Thanks,
DL

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f936eb2b-fda9-4236-bc8f-c6a75a18dd15&file=Stepping_analysis.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No need to model those supports - you can replace them with boundary conditions or, for more realistic results, model them as rigid surfaces and simulate contact with them. SolidWorks Simulation has a special feature called Virtual Wall for such purposes.

FEA way, what about any other forces on it? There is nothing "holding it down" only gravity acting on the ends. Is it necessary to do anything there, or just leave that as well? I know that it will form a U shape upwards, just want to see how bad it is.

It's similar to 3-point bending cases commonly solved with FEA. You may need some additional stabilization but it should be doable. Make use of symmetry to reduce the analysis time and eliminate rigid body motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back