Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to flip sketch to other side of plane? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennyd

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to flip a sketch to the other side of a plane? I have a sketch of our logo that will be molded into our product. When I copy the sketch and paste it on a plane it sometimes ends up on the backside. Rotation of the sketch doesn't achieve the flip or mirroring I need. I have had to resort to placing the sketch on an angled plane at the center of my product, adjusting the angle, and then using another plane offset from this one to convert the sketch entities onto. Two planes and two sketches when I should be able to do it with one. As good as SWX help is I can't find this in it.

Thanks in advance,

- - -Dennyd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure what you mean by "backside", but if you are trying to mirror the sketch entities then draw a centerline some where away from your logo then box-select all the sketch entities including the centerline and mirror them over to the other side of the centerline. You may delete the centerline and the logo that you don't need any more.

Once that is done you can move the sketch entities by box-selecting over all the entities of the mirrored logo and translate them using X and Y delta values. or move them with a base point depending on what version of Solidworks you have.

Once the logo is placed exactly where you need it you can then box select all the entities and fix them in space.

Hope this info helps.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Dennyd

Use tools; sketch tools; modify. This will bring up a ucs icon on your sketch. As you drag your mouse over the ucs icon you will see a representation of your mouse and the buttons will show different symbols. The symbols represent mirror, rotate, etc. You can also move the ucs icon around your sketch. Moving the icon will help when you are mirroring.

jksolid,

I am not trying to mirror entities within a sketch. Think of it this way: A sketch with the word "LOGO" exists, perhaps in this part or another, it doesn't matter. pick the sketch, Ctrl+c to copy it then Ctrl+v to paste it on a sketch plane out in space from a coffee cup. The idea then is to extrude or cut this logo into the surface of the coffee cup. The problem is when I paste the sketch onto the plane it shows up in mirror image as though it was pasted onto the other side of the plane. The sketch no looks like "OGOL" (we have to use our imagination here to reverse the image of the G and L).

mackman,
Thanks!!! I had to explore all the heavy dots on the UCS but found it. I had only really used the Modify sketch to rotate and translate. I've been using SWX since '95, but you solved a pain in the patooty problem for me today. A star for you!

Why couldn't I find this in the SWX Help?

- - -Dennyd

CBL,
The FAQ you reference deals with moving a sketch to a different plane, not flipping a sketch.

Scott,
I had been using the Modify function but did not realize I could pause over the dots to get more options. I had only been using the Modify for rotation and translation.

Mackman solved the problem. Thanks again!!

- - -Dennyd

DennyD ... Read it again. It explains that changing the sketch plane (from say the Front) to an adjacent perpendicular one (Top) and then changing it back to the original plane will reverse the sketch.
Try it ... Doing this does flip the sketch on the original plane.

[cheers] & all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back