Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get lidar file on top of usgs map

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashhafPE

Structural
Mar 24, 2005
US
The lidar information was given to us in xyz format. I converted it using Geopak into .dat then .tin and got contours. However, when I tried to superimpose the contours with the USGS maps but they were way off. The USGS maps matched a file provided by the state. So I know the problem is with the lidar information. I am using Microstation V8.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Way off HOW?

If it's either offset or scaling, then there's a problem with the initial position coordinate or some problem in the definition of the ranges.

If it's something else, then you need to review the original data for errors.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Is that consistent with the raw data?

Did you do the conversion correctly?

If you've got bad data, then only thing you can do is to subtract the offset from your data.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

What you are describing sounds like each dataset has distinct coordinate systems (probably based on different projections). Do you know that coordinates systems of the "USGS data" and the "LIDAR data"? It is rarely the case that a simple shift or correction factor will transform from one coordinate system to another. You may know this stuff already and I am not understanding your question. If not, here are some questions to get you started:

1) Are the data coordinates in units of US Survey Feet, International Feet, Meters, Decimal Degrees, Degree Minutes Seconds, or something else?
2) Did you receive metadata with the other data?
3) What are the data coordinate systems?

I suggest checking out the following sites:

National Geodetic Survey (NGS): Remote Sensing Division

University of Washington: Introduction to Geographic Information Systems in Forest Resources

University of Colorado: Coordinate Systems Overview

Colorado State University: State Plane Coordinate System

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back