Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to get more satisfied on what you do as Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProdEngxxl

Petroleum
Dec 30, 2004
GB
I'm a junior production Engineer (1 year experience in Oil field) and I still looking for new things every time and how to improve and master my Job. But People congratulate me for my Job, which I do not think is so best. What to do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean they tell you you're doing your job well but you don't think you're very good at it?

Or do you mean people outside your job think it's a good job to have but you don't like it?

Hg

Internally I used to be congratulated frequently by my bosses, for my Job. they rely on every thing I undertake. But for me I can do more than what I'm cuurently doing. So I'm not really satisfied for my performance.

I'm currently going through some problems like the ones KOUA11 is having. I'm in the maintenance area and my boss is in the company since the year I was born :| And everyone trusts him with their problems and some times just pretend that I don't exist.

This is in part because of the fact that the engineer before me was a truly bad professional with very little technical skills. I didn't knew her, but there isn't a single soul in the company that says anything good about her. :|

So I see myself in a situation that only when my boss is away, people rely on me.
So far I've taken care of people's problems and they begin to trust me for some problems...

I think that in time, things will change... Trust will be gained and work will become more interesting ;)

In the past I never took compliments very well. People would congratulate me on achieving milestones, meeting deadlines, meeting cost targets, whatever. I would smile and say thanks, but would be thinking to myself, "Uh, isn't this what you hired me to do, my job?" So I think I can relate.

The best thing you can do is read as much as you can about the field you are in and stay current with the latest technologies and processes. Be willing to share what you have learned, suggest changes or improvements to processes that have a potential benefit. Don't be affraid of accepting more challenging tasks or assignments. Above all, keep doing your "job", striving to satisfy yourself. You'll soon see that even though you may never quite reach that goal, it will be more than what others will have expected. People will notice your successes, and you will reap the benefits personally, professionally and financially.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

At last, I will out my secret about what I did as an engineer in my first assignment.

I was asked to correct the 50+ field survey books, in which some benchmark error had occured at field and field surveyors were too busy to spare.

I spent two months adding 0.007 to thousands of figures!! Just out of college doing that was.., well, was hell. But after finishing that, I GOT compliments and some better jobs, much better than my peers. Now I am glad that I DID IT!!! Sometimes, satisfaction is elusively delayed.

Ciao.

See also thread731-108980. Someone posted there with what I think is a similar issue and got encouraging advice from a number of people.

Hg

The most important advice that I can give you is not to be content with what you are doing, but always strive to get better. From your post, I can se that it is exactely how you feel. You are only a junior at the job that you are doing, give yourself some credit! If you think that you need improvment, then what are you waiting for to start educating yourself? You can read books that are available to you, also, you can try to get your boss to buy you some "really important" books. I did it, and it worked! Also, you can try to push to be sent on a course. Find a course that you would like to take, and ask the company to pay for it. I did that too and it worked... The internet is another very good option.

Coka

COKA,
I appreciate very much such a suggestion, I think I will be planning all these stated as advices and I do beleive I will come back with satisfactory.

Thanks Coka

KOKA11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back