Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get your foot in the HVAC door

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspe

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2009
US
My background is in mechanical engineering, more precise, in machine design. I took and passed the PE in that discipline.

For a few years I worked in automotive air conditioning. Now I would like to move to residential/commercial/industrial HVAC.

Lacking the experience in that particular field, what would be a good way for me to get my foot in the door?

Is focusing on my automotive air conditioning experience on my resume enough?
I have the ASHRAE books; if I review psychrometrics, heating and cooling load calculations would that be a good start?
Do I need to take a class or two - which ones?
Is there an "industry standard" software that I would need to know?
Any particular specs I should study?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest developing a relationship with a good mechancial contractor. They can use your engineering insight and you can use their industry experience.

I second that coldmaster!!
I was first a refrigeration mechanic and electrican (now engineer) and a good tradesman to learn from in your chosen field is the most important thing, full stop. second is a pile of textbooks in the field and next a good technical college if available. really do the homework on the company first though....the difference in skills can be astounding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back