Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to had holes to HoleWizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefBoinon

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2005
FR
Hi All.
I'm trying to add some new sketch to the Hole Wizard (in the Pipe hole section), I've read this "old" thread : then create my new SKE files, but I can't rely them to the Hole Wizard. I've create a new entry in the Pipe hole tab, but I don't know how I can affect the new sketch to this entry.

Thanks for your reply
Stef

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't follow your statment real well... but I think you want to add holes to a pre-existing HW feature? if that true you should only need to Edit the defintion of the HW and add more points to the sketch... however they cannot be a different size. if you want a different size you will have to make a new HW feature.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Hi Scott
Sorry but I know this and this is not what I want to do. My purpose is to add new type of hole in the HW. Each type of hole have a .ske file : this is the second sketch in the HW feature. And what I want is to add some new .ske files in the HW.
I hope that you understand me.
Regards
Stef

An alternative to adding to the HW is to create the feature (or set of features) as Library Feature. It could then be dragged & dropped into a face. It can also be configured for different sizes.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

If you make a new DB you can add more hole wizard holes or measurements to the DB some that don't come standard in the DB that SW gives you.

If that is not what you are after then I have to agree with KenBolen, because that is the only thing you can do with adding hole wizard holes to a DB.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

You can add legacy type holes by the procedure linked in the OP. Sort of. You can copy an existing .ske file, rename it, and copy the corresponding line in the Holewzd.idx file, changing the index number, text name, and .ske file name accordingly. It will show up in the legacy hole list and work exactly like the hole type it was copied from. However, I can't find any way to edit the .ske file. SW won't recognize it as is or renamed to .sldprt, .sldlfp, etc. Perhaps older versions of SW know how to edit/save a .ske file? The linked post is rather old.

Hi all
Scott: the link you give doesn't fit to my needs. With it I can add new size of holes or modify dimensions. What I need is adding new type of hole (ie G 3/4" drill length 20mm, thread length 10mm with an another hole coaxial to the G 3/4" which would be for example ø12mm length 150mm.)
So I think it wouldn't be possible.

handleman: what to you mean by OP? please
I've done all what you say but my problems now is how to link the "extra" dimensions of my new .ske file to the DB??

For editing a .ske file start SW in a command line like this sldworks.exe /d. Open a new part and you will see a "Developper Menu", in this menu : Read section allows you to open .ske file, Make section for saving your new .ske file.

Regards

"OP" just means "Original Post".

I believe you will only be able to add "Legacy" type holes. If you are really desperate for a new hole type that links to the database it may be possible to manually alter the swbrowser.mdb file. However, the complexity of that database is far beyond anything that someone in an internet forum could attempt to walk you through, and I have no idea how that data actually links to the .ske files, cosmetic thread creation, etc.

I believe your only option is to create your .ske file, name all its dimensions something that makes sense, and then insert a line in the Holewzd.idx file for it.

Out of curiosity, how did you find out about the /d switch to edit .ske files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back