How to increase the coefficient of friction for flexible PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPhilH

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2011
GB
Hi Guys

I was hoping a few of you might be able to help me out.

I have recently developed a new product that incorporates an inflated PVC bladder (rotational molded). I need to increase the grip levels (i.e. increase the coefficient of friction) when in contact with laminate flooring.

Does anyone have any information on what PVC additives / composition improves the grip? or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To modify the formulation, I'd look at adding a filler that has a "sharp" profile, perhaps some kind of silica or perhaps look at the paint anti-skid additives.

My first choice would be to leave the formulation as is and add an abrasion step after molding.

Thanks for your response tnatale.

I will look into a filler however I am not keen to increase the abrasion level of the material as it could damage the flooring. I would like to change the 'stickiness' if possible. Do you know what additives would be best?

Thanks

PVC flooring is all coated with polyurethane to increase the friction and improve wear resistance. This is huge business so you can get a cheap, high volume commercial product and apply it to PVC. One supplier is Lord in the UK.

Chris DeArmitt
Plastic & Additives Webinars
Training the Fortune 500 since 2003

If this bladder is specifically molded for you, the pvc supplier to the processor can easily add a tackifier to the formulation. Talk to your processor and have him contact the pvc supplier. If it is not specific to you, a softer compound will have higher COF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back