Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to increase the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

sree555

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2005
IN
I have a diesel engine driven pump for my blast furnace. The pump has a discharge rate of 800m3/hr at 50Mts head. The pump is connectd to an emergency Overhead tank which is at an height of 40Mts. The problem I face is the water is not discharged with full volume. The suction pipe is 350 Dia and the delivery pipe is 250 Dia. No. of bends in the delivery line is 10. (All 90 degree)
The horizontal length of the delivery pipe is 35 Mts and the vertical length of the pipe is 42 Mts.
What is the frticitional losses developed by the pump and whether the pump can deliver at the present height with rated volume.
If not please help me out so tha the pump will deliver at least with 80% of its rated volume.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I estimate the system flow at 50 meters head (including static head) is 443 m^3/hr. You would have to plot this on the pump curve to determine actual possible flow.

At a flow of 175 m^3/hr, I estimate the discharge pressure gauge should only read 4.024 kg/cm^2 which is 1.176 kg/cm^2 less that the 5.2 Kg/CM^2 actual reading. Is there additional head loss in going through the blast furnace heat exchanger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back