Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to insert object w/o huge file size increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardPark

Structural
Mar 7, 2004
US
New user.

I have a worksheet that is 37KB. I need a drawing inserted into it. Since I have not yet learned SmartSketch I hand drew the drawing to scale, scanned it into a .jpg file (86KB) and inserted as a picture. This results in the path to the picture printed on the page.
So I inserted as an object but the file size grows to 4776KB!
How can I insert my .jpg file without having the path printed and without the huge file size?

Dick Park

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This might not be the best way, but this is what I do...

Open the picture in my graphics program (Paint Shop Pro), make a window on the region I want to have in MathCAD. Copy (ctrl-c) and then paste (ctrl-v) in MathCAD. My filesizes are generally in the 4MB range as well. I think that is pretty reasonable.

For smaller filesizes you can zoom out and copy a smaller region. You could also try importing a smaller file format like .tif.

Hope this helps...

Erik

I generally find that images I insert into Mathcad only need to be small. So I use Photoshop or similar to cut them down to 100 x 100 or 50 x 50 pixels or so. This gives a reasonable size.

I think that with a jpeg Mathcad turns it into a bitmap and stores the bitmap.

Avoid using any of the insertion routines. Pasting from the clipboard, particularly if it's an 8-bit image will reduce the size by two-thirds. Using PhotoEditor to drop the palette to 8-bit and then pasting will likewise reduce the size.

However, Mathcad will not compress the image for storage. That feature was only partially available in Powerpoint until recently.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back