Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to integrate results normal to an area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkuhn

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2002
CL
Hi,

Is there any easy way to integrate results in a selected area from a plane cutt ?

Regards,

R. Kühn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ed,

I intend to design a reinforced concrete solid, modeling the solid only as an isotropic concrete. Then dimension the reinforcing steel to meet the stress demands of the applied tractions obtained from the FE analysis.

In order to dimension the reinforcing steel, I need to integrate the traction stress over an appropriate normal area.

Yours,
R. Kühn

Alright, but I think I'm still missing something. What part of this would you like I-DEAS to do?

1) Are you looking for a function to 'integrate' stresses (ie, to add up the stresses distributed over a given area)?

2) Or, are you looking for a way to figure out how much cross-sectional area a given (steel or concrete) geometry will generate (ie, in the cut plane)?

3) Or something else?

-e

I'm looking for statement 1), to add up the stresses distributed over a given area.

I can list stresses in all nodes with the report writer tool from the Post Processing and then add them , but I don't know how to list only the stresses in the area of my interest.

Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks you for your help :)

R. Kühn

R,

As far as selecting the stresses only for a given area, you might try using the 'related to' MB3 pick (ie, pick the item that the forces/etc are 'related to', and then pick the resultant items you want (such as the forces).

If you don't have the forces 'related to' an easily pickable item (like a 'partition surface' or some such), then you might be able to use the 'group' functionality to aggregate them together. While it will still take some time to pick them the first time, you can then pick them quicker on subsequent runs/etc (by picking the same 'group').

Let me know if this helps...

-e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back