Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to learn about "Steel Grades"? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohinderlamba

Automotive
Jun 26, 2006
US
Can someone please give me a low down on the standards for steel grading. I am looking for brief summary. Example there are x systems used commonly, one system uses ASMT as a prefix, the other uses SAE as a prefix etc etc. I will then have furthur questions so please bear with me.
I am a software engineer who has found himself managing supply chain for a manufacturing plant manufacturing "Automotive Parts".
I appreciate your help in advance.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Automotive prints are just plain annoying. I used to tech-rep secondary (low carbon and DDQIF, along with some HSLA) and the myriad of ways the materials are called out was one of the biggest difficulties.

Although after some time you will recognize the more common designations..

Good Luck

I would suggest a class offered by ASM entitled "metallurgy for non-metallurgists" if you really want to gain a general overview of matierials. This class is geared toward people in production and purchasing and QA. It is offered online, via mail, and at ASM Headquarters in Cleveland Ohio in person. The Houston Chapter also offers the class over a 6 week period for one night a week once a year at Rice University. Your local chapter may do something similar. It might be worth checking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back