Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to make a second component fit a folded sheet metal component. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjjatpuresilica

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2010
GB
I have come to model the solid cap for my folded sheet-metal component and wondered if anyone would be so kind as to advise me whether I have gone about this in the right manner.

In MDT I would have used one part to subtract from another and thus ensure a perfect fit.

You will see from the file attached that I have projected the profile from the top of the component and used this with which to model the cap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

cjj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Derive your component into a new part as a surface. Now use the surface geometry as a reference to create your cap. This way if you ever change the base component your cap will update to suit.

Try that first, then I will comment on your lofts.

Dear EngAddict,

Once again thank you for your kind reply, although I have absolutely no idea how to set about "Derive your component into a new part as a surface?"

cjj

Dear Engaddict,

I have derived my sheet-metal component into a new part as a surface but do not know how to use this to creat a new parametric part to fit it, that will adjust according to the original part from which I derived my new surface part?

cjj

Dear EngAddict,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to generate a sample model for me.

I think my mistake was in trying to use the base model to automatically extract itself from the volume of the cap rather than by sketching on the imported derived part.

Your model has enabled me to go forward; so thank you once again.

Just one small further question if I may, regarding adding a note to a sketch?

The whole operation seems to be a bit touchy and fragile and not terribly user friendly.

I also keep getting an error warning that states “encountered an improper argument.” Is this just me or is the whole process just a bit clunky?

Thank you once again.
cjj

I don't know why you are getting the error without trying your operation. I find using derived parts, master sketches and multi-body master parts very stable and good robust modelling. Persevere and you wont regret it.

Dear EngAddict,

As much as I regret admitting it, Inventor already has me hooked although I still miss the command line!

Thank you for your kind help, without which I fear I might now be back with MDT.

cjj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back