Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a VCO-based frequency synthesizer? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

syset

Electrical
Jul 7, 2002
JP
Could anyone tell me, or give me any references on the basics of how to make a phase-locked VCO-based frequency synthesizer operating at around 2GHz. (would like to be able to tune it from 500MHz - 2GHz, if possible)
I read that it is possible to lock a 2GHz VCO with a 10MHz reference. How is that done??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The VCO runs at .5 to 2 GHz. It is divided by 2000 to 8000 and this is compared by a phase detector to 10MHz.

Error through loop filter controls VCO.

If you have no experience at HF work, do not expect a working circuit ! <nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

I have some experience on HF circuit. Mainly based on connecting SMA-connectorised devices together, eg Mixer, Amps, Filter, etc. I can't make striplines... Where can I buy such 2000/8000 RF divider that works at 2GHz? Frequency harmonics multiplier is easy, but divider? RF D-type?
Please advice...

What I really need now is a 2GHz oscillator which can be fine-tuned in 1KHz (or less if possible) steps for 10MHz or so. I am building a fiber ring laser, with an optical modulator in the cavity. The cavity fundamental frequency is around 3MHz.
Another question is, if I do not need tunability, how can I build a stable 2GHz oscillator cheaply? can any one give me some links to some low cost oscilator? Thanks!

The company Mini Circuits does a whole range of extremely good VCO's that would suit your purpose, prices are around 50 pounds or so. I use them myself for Radar circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back