Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make panel with clear parts and Infrared transmissive parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

erezst

Electrical
Sep 15, 2014
Hi all-

We're trying to design a front-panel for a device that will be a single piece of plastic. We need to have a clear window in the middle (where an LCD display is placed), and the rest should be Near-IR transmissive (>800nm) and opaque to visible light.

Is there a way to make this as a single part?
Or, would this be a clear plastic part that is painted/coated with IR transmission material?

Any guidance would be helpful.

Sincerely,
Erez

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An opaque plastic cannot be made transparent with a coating; it's already inherent in the bulk properties of the material. You could possibly coat the non-transmitting portions to block visible, however. Why do you need it transparent to NIR?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

The device has some electrical components that are InfraRed (IR Emitters, IR CMOS Sensor, etc.). These need to be hidden from the user, that's why the Infrared transmission coating.

How would a transparent piece of plastic be covered? Do you know such Infrared transmission materials and how they would be applied only on a part of the plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back