Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make PDF out of drafting on UNIX machine? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukaK

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2007
SI
Hello!

My question is how to make PDF file out drafting on HP-UX machine?

I'm using I-DEAS 12 NX on HP-UX 11i v1. I know about SDI-PDF but only DEMO version comes with I-DEAS. I also know about m-plot but thats $$$$.

Thanks for any useful tip.
Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've only used this on Windows, but Ghostscript and Ghostview will do it. Set up a printer in I-DEAS to output to PostScript file then open the .ps file with Ghostview and then convert it to PDF. It's free.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Hello

Thanks for help. Could you please tell me how to setup I-DEAS to output PostScript file :) since in msplot i find only PNG,JEPG,TIFF...

You MIGHT have to configure a separate PostScript plotter/printer. I don't use I-DEAS often but I am an NX veteran and it uses the exact same plotting from SDI.

File -> Print and from the SDI menu, pick your plotter/printer then over towards the right side you'll see 3 checkboxes. Pick Print to File and choose the save location.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Nice post!

Lukak, please can you explain how you did it in I-Deas? I tried to save the print file. But by default it is saved as ***.pff
I've installed Ghostview also. But don' know how to invoke ps2pdf command. Can you help me out? I'm on I-deas NX m1/windows.

Thanks in advance.

Fist you need GhostScript not GhostView. GhostView is just a
viewer and it doesn't include "ps2pdf14" command.
You need GhostScript.

Get it here:
Download: gs856w32.exe

Well i installed Ghostscript from "Porting And Archive Centre For HP-UX". Then i had setup I-DEAS Print to output me a .ps (PostScript) file.

When i have a .ps file i just do
ps2pdf -r300 file.ps file.pdf
and i get PDF

I also wrote a shell script which converts all .ps files to .pdf in one directory and deletes .PS files. But it's only for UNIX.

#!/usr/bin/sh
#
#
#

echo "*****************************************"
echo "* Converting .PS files to .PDF *"
echo "*****************************************"

ls -1 /home/mkodric/PDF/*.ps | while read file
do
ps2pdf14 -r300 $file && rm $file
done

echo " ******** FINISHED *********"

You should check Ghostscript manual for Windows. I believe there must be somewhere that ps2pdf installed.

You invoke ps2pdf14 from command line. So you must open cmd.exe in Windows and go to directory where ps2pdf14.exe is installed.

Thank you for the reply.
I'm sorry, I have installed ghostscript, not ghostview. Anyway, after adding specific folders to system PATH then I could convert existing .ps files to .pdf. Great!!!

Finally please can you let me know how to setup i-deas output to .ps files? I had gone thru I-Deas help for the settings, but I couldnt find anything.

Thanks,
Soma

In plotter settings you must add new printer "Generic PostScript" printer. I don't know where that is in Windows. But i know for UNIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back