Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to manually verify peak elevation in pond with custom weir/orifice outlet? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmith14

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2021
US
As the title states, I am looking to manually verify peak elevation in pond with custom weir/orifice outlet. What are the mechanics behind how HydroCAD makes this computation? Any ideas on how I might compute this manually to prove HydroCAD is modeling correctly?

Below is the summary for my pond node:

HydroCAD_peak_elevation_verification_zrwdkv.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The calculations are complex and time-consuming to replicate by hand. First, you would need to verify the stage-discharge curve, and then perform the hydrograph routing using the storage-indication method.

BUT, if you're having doubts about the results, I would first have a close look at the setup of your HydroCAD model. In particular, verify your device routing and the resulting stage-discharge curve.

Based on the limited info you've posted the results look reasonable. You're getting 10 CFS through a triple custom weir 1 foot wide with 1 foot of head. Why are you doubting that result?

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Thanks for the response, Peter. I had a feeling the hand computations might be difficult.

Personally, I am not having doubts about the results, but a reviewer on our project is. I think the reviewer is more accustomed to seeing WinTR-20 and is uncomfortable with not knowing exactly how HydroCAD works even though it is an approved software!

I would ask the reviewer to be more specific about their concerns, and then address them one at a time. Remember that HydroCAD is a collection of many different H&H tools, and you need to look at the individual procedures and calculations that are being employed, rather than just jumping to the bottom line (the peak WSE in this case.)

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back