Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to market our MEP consulting engineering business

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn61

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2010
US
Does anyone know a website or have any tips on writing "introducing our company" emails to architects? How can I word the email to get them to at least give us a meeting?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your Email gets by the spam filter, it will likely be deleted as soon as the reader realizes you're making a sales pitch. And how many architects don't have an existing relationship with a MEP designer or, by coincidence, need one at that minute. Hint; if they need one this minute, they probably burned the bridges with their past designer. And that bridge is usually non-payment of bills.
If you can set up a personal meeting over the phone, that's the best. Maybe a "Lunch and Learn" with lower level employees.
Even better is using past relationships to cultivate new ones.

There are professional firms in the business to answer your question and to provide varying level of service for accomplishing that goal. Might be worth a contact. Do a search on this WEB site, since that subject has been discussed before.

Now a days I would look into using social media to selectively target certain architects
Sending just an email will not likely get you very far. Having them see you post for a while will give you some name recognition, which might help you approach them

Future PE Engineer
Pet project I am working on to help other engineers, not much yet hoping to get it grow as I learn more

I have emailed Architects in the past and some do respond. I would come across articles about a certain company, say I read about their project, included the link, and let them know about my company. At the end let them know if they needed a Civil Engineer for future projects for specifically what we do. Linkedin may be another way to try. Most Archiects seem to already be set with their MEP, but you never know. A lot of people are retiring or shutting down.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

brandonbw,

I've seen some architects change their MEP consulting firms with changes in the wind, and I've seen others who are almost suffering from a form of Stockholm syndrome. In the latter case, the MEP consulting firm that comes to mind was notorious for not responding to submittals and RFIs in a timely manner, designs which resulted in numerous changeorders, and many other problems. And yet they have a business relationship going on 15+ years. I don't get it.

In the days of gigantism, large firms swallowing even large firms nowadays, try to tag along a big firm that needs to spread the wealth for minority, small business, under-privileged business, large firms must carry as much as 30% minority participation.
But if you are a white man, tough luck. You'd be better off if you were Indian, chinese, Korean, Philipino, black, hispanic, veteran or woman, etc. - they all have the 8 (a) status and set asides for government work.
or get your wife (ves) to own the business (51%) - and she (they) must be involved in it. and go for woman owned business.

In the mid-Atlantic, mostly government work, if you're a white man, forget it.

Choosing a job where we depend on an architect to give us work, we are doomed, we will always eat generic food.

We never played up being minority, though me being part Chinese and my partner being Hispanic seems like it could open new doors? Not a big fan of going that route. By some hard work and luck we recently were referred to another developer from a previous developer we have done a few jobs for. It just takes time to build up a relationship and networking. I still promote our business any way I can think of. And a lot of it just involves time with how easy and just about free the internet allows us to get our name out there.

With that a structural that networked in an Architect and a few Engineers, including us, just got kicked off of a gravy train. So its not out of the question that a developer, corporation or Architect is looking for a new consultant, even if they have been using the same team for a while.

Just don't generic spam emails.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back