Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to maximize load on a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panjaabi

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2006
US
I want to test a pump with worst case scenario. Right now, I have raised the discharge pipe to height of about 2 ft to increase the load on pump.

Would raising the inlet to about same height as that of discharge increase the load?

What other factors can increase the load on pump? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Increasing the high of the inlet will only cause the pump performance to suffer, it will not increase the load.

The only ways to increase the load are to increase the head/pressure, increase the viscosity or to increase the flow rate.

How much more load do you want to apply? 2 ft is not very much at all!

If you care to define, what do you mean by increasing load on pump, you will definitely decrease load on my brains (as I can't prove its existence, consider this as pun)

The load on a pump (if it is synonymous to the power drawn) is maximum when there is no resistance to the fluid flow i.e open discharge condition without piping. Raising the inlet pipe doesn't mean anything to me unless I see the schematic.

High density liquid pumping require higher power.

If my understanding is correct - you wish to see the maximum electrical power consummed by the pump - in this case you've got your answer from quark - moving the pump duty point at the right side of the curve translate into maximum electrical power needed
CAREFUL - that also translate into more NPSH Required by the pump - therefore be carefull not to take the pump beyond what the existing NPSHA permits !

Thanks for feedback.

People have complained that the pump sometimes turns off. I have not found this to be the case since I was testing this under normal conditions. I was wondering increasing load might cause it to fail.

By increasing load on pump I mean increasing electrical consumption.

By saying "the pump turns off" do you mean the motor trips ?
Higher viscosities, such as when trying to pump cold liquids may result in motor outages. Would you kindly add details on the fluid involved and the operating conditions ?

What type of pump is it, centrifugal, axial or mixed flow, positive displacement, ie gear pump - piston pump - diaphram etc etc - all have differing operating characteristics.

Naresuan University
Phitsanulok
Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back