Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to measure volume change on old triaxial setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieljgalles

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2014
US
Hi, I'm about to start running some drained triaxial tests on dense sand. For my research, it's very important that I measure the dilation in the sand specimen. However, the triaxial test machine I'll be using cannot measure volume change. Instead of a pressure/volume controller, my setup only has a pressure controller. Does anyone have a good idea how I can measure volume change? I'm thinking that attaching some kind of flow meter inline with water line that runs from the triaxial cell to the pressure controller is the way to go. Does this seem reasonable? If so, any suggestions on a reasonably priced low-flow meter?

Thanks,
Daniel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ron, I considered that, but I question the accuracy of a sight glass for small volume changes. Also, a sight glass would be considerably more difficult to install (in my setup) than something inline.

Hi dan
I think you have to use a burette to monitor the volume change and this will ensure to be tested in drain condition for sand specimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back