Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model a tieback wall in a FEA program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pootypeters

Structural
Jul 11, 2012
US
I am a new engineer at a structural engineering firm. My first 3 projects have all been walls. First a cantilever, Second a Tieback, Third a soil nail. The 60% design I submitted for the tieback needs to be updated for our next submittal. I did some rudimentary calcs for the tieback wall by hand but am wanting to run a more in depth analysis. The problem is that I'm not quite sure how to model it. At first, it seemed simple. Create a mesh of kirchoff plate elements, apply the loads on the backside (Earth, Water, LLS, Seismic, etc.) and then pin the structure where the anchor heads are located. But as I got to thinking about this, this is not correct. The anchors are post-tensioned to 60kips. I would somehow need to apply a 60 kip force at each of the anchor head locations. The question then is how do I support the structure? Where do I apply the restraints and how? Just to be clear, I am only interested in modeling the wall itself and have no interest in the soil interaction with the tiebacks. That configuration has already been chosen by the geotechnical engineer. I need to get my internal bending moments so that I can design the reinforcing in the wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back