Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model closed crack in beam in ANSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

georg2976

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2011
PT
Dear people,

I want to put the crack but closed at the midspan of the beam with depth half of height and with wight all of beam. Can somebody save a file or explain how to do that.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you looked into VCCT elements? I can help you with that.
What do you mean with placing the crack at the midspan of the beam? Can you be more descriptive of your specific problem?

I don't know what is VCCT elements. Can you make me a model for example beam L=1m, h=0.05m b=0.05m. Crack depth hc=0.025m, crack width bc=0.05m, crack length lc=0.01m. And show me how to do that?

VCCT: Virtual Crack Closure Technique.
Are you after the stress intensity factors? Are you trying to predict where the crack will go (KI, KII and KIII)?
If so, I have a set of instructions on how to do that in ANSYS than I can share with you.
Let me understand if this is what you are trying to do.

NO, my main problem is to obtain natural frequencies for cracked beam. So I need a cracked model and then natural frequencies. If you have some instructions or make a model with crack to show. The problem is easy but I am new in ansys so I don't know how to do that.

I see. As a first approximation I would suggest to simulate the crack as a segment of no attachment between the upper and lower surface. What I mean, be creative in the modeling so that there is an segment and is free to open
I hope this helps,
-Francesco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back