how to model cut outs on panel for flush installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space213

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2017
US
hi guys,

I have a few components such as gauges and square shaped flow meters that I want to mount into a panel for a flush look. Its my first time designing in this way and want to make sure the components fit when we get the panel machined. So far I have made the cutouts to be about .01" bigger than the actual size of the component itself but I dont want any loose fittings nor do I want it to barely fit.
Suppose my flow meter is 1" wide and 4.12" long. Its depth does not matter since there is lots of space behind the panel. What dimensions would you make your cut out then?

How would you go about the tolerances for the cut out?

much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most things that are designed to be panel mounted have recommended cut out dimensions on the drawing from the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer doesn't supply anything, then I would look at the tolerance on the features of the component that I am trying to mount and the tolerances that my manufacturing process can hold for the panel and then figure out how big the opening needs to be to ensure the component will always fit.

Space213,

Also, consider that a panel without flush mounting pockets can be punched cheaply from sheet metal. A panel with pockets will have to be thick, and it will have to be machined, possibly from both sides, requiring at least two machining setups. Style costs more.

Are you sure flush-mounted components look better?

Sheet metal can be ordered in smooth finish with paper protective cover. This leaves you a very good looking near mirror finish, with no possibility of machining chips scratching it.

Think hard.[ ][smile]

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back