Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model Inlets on grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hargy

Civil/Environmental
Nov 29, 2004
US
How can I model Inlets on grade? An inlet on grade can only handle a portion of the flow the rest will bypass to the next inlet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gutter flow and grated inlets efficiencies based upon FHWA HEC-12 have always been accepted in my experience. HEC-12 will cover on-grade and sumped/sag inlets. This manual is available for free download, and I understand there may be a free software that goes with it. But it is pretty easy to write a spreadsheet based on HEC-12.

What type of inlet? If you are using a cast grate, the foundry will have pass flow tests available for your use. Often, they test the grate at different slopes, so the value you seek may be available.

An open throat inlet. Yes I have some of the flow tests from the foundry on grate inlet capacities. I was just wondering how to model the by-pass flow on an open throat inlet. Inlets will handel X ammount of flow the rest will bypass. Modeling the bypass is where I'm having trouble.

Thanks for your replies.

You can define a LINK. On the Advanced tab of the link dialog, there is the option for a Flow Threshold. This allows one to split primary and secondary flow based on a known flow rate.

You can define a LINK. On the Advanced tab of the link dialog, there is the option for a Flow Threshold. This allows one to split primary and secondary flow based on a known flow rate.

I am not sure if this is referring to HydroCad?
Please elaborate.

Yes, my response was referring to HydroCad. I am assuming that is what hargy is asking about. Modeling the bypass in Hydrocad. It sounds as if he has already calculated the caputre rate and bypass rate and just want to know how to split this in Hydrocad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back