Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HOW TO MODEL THIS BEND

Status
Not open for further replies.

durablack2

Automotive
Jun 25, 2013
US
I need to model this bend (circled red in attachment) properly in Solidworks but am unable to figure out how to do so using the sheet metal tools. I don't really think it's possible to get what i need using basic extrude / cut tools either. Anyone want to take a stab at it or point me to some tutorials?? I can imagine the flat pattern but then the two tabs are somewhat twisted while bent which i am not able to achieve. It's a tricky one...

[link Your file's link is: ]Link[/url]

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would do it with base-Flange and Sketched-bend.
Or play with the Flex feature instead of Sketch-Bend (Insert>Feature>Flex), but that's be both overkill and unreliable for such a part.

S1_e34kie.jpg

S2_v2lhxq.jpg

When I have to make odd geometry through a bend, I make it with extra material, flatten, trim, and then rezbend.

Asymmetric ends on a bend like this cause trouble. The part is likely to shift in the die. Design it out if you can.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Sbaugh, it does look like it could be welded when looking at the pics I posted previously, but in hand it is clear those marks are tooling marks. This pic might be a little better.

part_1_2_ff4l8s.jpg

I think Handleman has it, the die is definitely doing more than just bending. The material is deformed a bit and twisted to get the geometry. The edge of the hole near the bend is tangent to the top surface of the flat plate (green dashed lines). The bottom of the tabs are collinear with the bottom of the plate (red dashed lines).

part_2_LI_voj0lb.jpg

part_3_ltseic.jpg

I think using the flex feature is the only way to truly get the geometry I need, but i think i can get close enough w/ sheet metal tools, some other features, and having a discussion w/ the supplier. I don't think I can work this geometry out of the design unfortunately.

Here's a few pics of the model where it is now. Not perfect but I think it'll end up working.
[img [URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1587415651/tips/sw_pic_1_xvxvds.png[/URL]
sw_pic_2_erg21q.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back