Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to (nicely) not hire someone 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLTA

Structural
Aug 11, 2008
US
OK folks,

What wording do you use to let someone know you're not going to hire them, after an interview, and before the position is filled? I want to be kind, but also to avoid potential litigation-creation statements about why.

thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me the less said the better; it's why most companies no longer give out any information about former employees, other that dates and maybe salaries.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Why not leave them with the standard comment; "Don't call us, we'll call you."

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Keep it bland and minimally informative.

These days many places don't tell you if you haven't got the job. I kind of understand it if you were nixed during the pre screening - with web job searches etc. I'm sure some places get thousands of applicants for each job.

However, if it's got as far as the interview then a 'thanks but no thanks' doesn't seem unreasonable to expect.

"Thank you for taking the time to interview with SLTA structural engineering however, I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the position.

We wish you success with your ongoing job search. Thank you for your interest in my company."

Or something perhaps more eloquent.

In the event they get back to you and ask why, then it's up to you if you add anything but I'd be very careful what if anything you say and at the very least keep it verbal.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

KENAT said exactly what I have said in the same situation. "Thanks for your time. You have not been selected." Every word is true and verifiable. If you haven't filled the position and say "We've selected another applicant" then you are lying and lies have a way of festering.

Stay professional and truthful, but not helpful. Saying "We didn't hire you because you reek of cannabis", might be a problem in Colorado or Washington, and a different problem in the other 48 states. Same with "you were twitchy" or "I hated the shirt your wore and couldn't face that every day" or "I didn't believe your resume was really about you" or "we don't hire people who are too lazy to look up what we make prior to the interview". Helpful is just asking for arguments.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

"Thank you for taking the time to interview with XYZ Engineering. While your qualifications were good, we made our decision to select another applicant based on our evaluation of the best fit our current needs. We will maintain your resume on file and look forward to considering your qualifications as future needs arise."

Ron,
That seems to fit into the category "telling a lie when the truth would serve you better". That was a big problem with my kids, I hate to think it is a problem in companies.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

""Thank you for taking the time to interview with XYZ Engineering."

"While your qualifications were good, we made our decision to select another applicant based on our evaluation of the best fit our current needs."

Doesn't say you've selected someone else, just that you've decided to selected someone else, anyone else, but this applicant. No lie here

"We will maintain your resume on file and look forward to considering your qualifications as future needs arise.""

We will maintain your resume in our round resume file, at least, until the janitor empties it. Since the future need to consider you will never happen, we look forward to that. No lie there.

I don't see anything actionable here. It's an excellent example of oracular exposition; it can mean anything you think it means.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

SLTA hasn't decided to select another applicant as far as I can tell from her OP, and it's possible no one will be selected. So implying someone else has been or at least definitely will be selected is if not an outright lie then misleading.

Why even bring it up when it's quite easy to just tell them they weren't selected?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Every word beyond KENAT's suggested response just adds to your litigation targeting cross section.

Ask your own lawyer.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I read it several times, and found nothing false or even misleading in Ron's statement. I think it is quite diplomatic, and is the type of explanation I would prefer to receive as an unsuccessful applicant. I don't want to just be told I wasn't chosen. Maybe it is just the way we did it in the old days, as Ron and I are old...

I suggest against saying anything about other candidates. Potential employees care nothing about the other people, so don't talk to them about it. If you mention other candidates, the current candidate could request a list of others you have considered to compare qualifications... if there is no list, the lawyers will have a field day.

The meeting was between two people about employment... don't mention other people, don't mention other (current) positions, just say your door is open for future employment if the fit should be appropriate.

We appreciate your interest in our company and the time you spent with our interview team. We enjoyed meeting you and learning about your experience and interests. While you were not selected for this position, we encourage you to apply again in the future for openings that match your qualifications.

Short, simple, to the point. You have a business to run, so sweating over this too much is counterproductive.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back