Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to obtain stress strain curve in Abaqus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odforu

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2010
US
Hello,

I am performing an analysis to predict the overall properties of composite material(fibers and Matrix, 3D). I have got the desired properties of the material. Now I would like to get the stress vs strain curve to know the behavior of the material. How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments are welcome

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are 2 options.
1. Apply a displacement to 1 face and report out the total reaction force divided by the cross-sectional area.
2. Apply a pressure to 1 face and report out the displacement.
I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Rob,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already used the second approach. I would like to get the load vs displacement curve. My interest is to get the load vs displacement upto the elastic limit of the composite material. I also have applied plastic material inputs to the model. When I go to the X-Y DATA manager-create- ODB FIELD OUTPUT, I will then have to select unique nodal in the POSITION TYPE and then pressure and displacement below. In the ELEMENT/NODES tab, if I select NODE SETS, I don't get any option?

How do I proceed?

Thanks..

Odforu - I would recommend having a constraint on the pressure application face to force all the nodes to have the same axial displacement. Then you can select a single node on that face to get your displacement variable.

As an aside, what are hoping to gain from a stress-strain curve if you already have properties to assign to your model?

-CompositeModeler

@CompositeModeler: Well I have evaluated the material properties of the composite, I would like to give some plastic material properties of individual constituents (ofcourse along with elastic properties) like tensile strength to the model and would like to observe the load vs displacement curve in the elastic region.

For that how do I constrain the face on which I apply pressure loading? I was thinking of modeling a rigid plate(analytical rigid)on the surface of loading. I have several issues in modeling the rigid plate too.

So how do I go ahead to obtain the load displacement curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back