Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to open a file from windows explorer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNSZU

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2005
TW
Standard procedure for any software is that when you double-click a file in windows explorer, that file is opened in the appropriate program. But when I try this with an NX part file, another instance of the NX program starts (which is strange, because normally if the program is already started, the file would simply open in the current instance), but nothing is displayed. Dragging the file into the NX window does nothing. Sometimes I want to open an stp file by dragging the file into the NX window, but nothing happens here either.

Is it required that for opening a file, you can only do this via the file>open dialog?

I'm using windows 7.

NX8 i7-3770K@4.3Ghz 16GB Quadro2000

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm running NX 7.5 on windows XP, double clicking a part file opens it in my existing session. My guess is your problem is the result of a Windows setting, probably the result of other program(s) using (or having used) the .prt file extension.

www.nxjournaling.com

Yes, maybe so. I remember seeing a thread here describing this issue (can't find it now).
I've had the *.prt extension assigned to proe before, but I've changed it in windows to NX, and now all *.prt files have the NX logo on them in windows explorer. However, they still don't open in NX.

Check which program you have associated with .prt files. If it is associated with ugraf.exe, it will start a new session each time. If it is associated with ugs_router.exe it will open in an open session first, and will only open a new session if one is not already open.

Are you utilizing any other CAD sytems there ?
If I recall correctly; CADKey, SolidEdge, and SoliddWorks, also use the .prt extension so they may interfere with NX using it too.

Thank you cpttrips, opening the *.prt file with ugs_router instead of ugraf did the trick! Now the files are opening fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back