Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to prepare for a business in 3 years 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stTimeBridgeDesign

Structural
Aug 18, 2008
US
I have about 2 years of bridge design experience. Once I earn my PE, I would like to start my own consulting firm in low-rise building and facilities design. I don't have much building design experience, but it's what I learned in school and I enjoyed it much more. Finding a job as a structural building engineer with less than 4 years experience and no PE is next to impossible right now. I would like to know what I can do to plan for starting my own business about 3 years from now. Some ideas I had were to volunteer to help freelance engineers on nights and weekends to get a better feel for building design. Also, to eventually offer preliminary engineering services to clients (for free) under a s-corp which could then be checked and verified by a freelance engineer (at cost to client). This would allow me to maybe become a cheaper option to clients who would have no risk or cost in using me to get an idea of what type of structure they are looking at, and if they find the design acceptable, they could pay for it's check and verification. Also, in the year leading up to me going solo, I could build up a potential client list, build a financial history for the corporation (easier to get bank loans down the road), and provide the freelance engineer with work.

My questions are:

Does this seem like a reasonable approach for where I am in my career?

Where can I find a full set of drawing and calculations for a small building, such as in a final design submission, so that I have a better idea of everything involved?

What are some really good books for low-rise building engineering, and/or starting a consulting business?

I am basically looking at designing very small one or two story buildings or garages. Possibly even houses. If I am successful years down then line, I may partner up with a more senior engineer so that I can continue learning while I work for myself.

Am I being realistic here, or am I not seeing the picture clearly. Please try to be encouraging and optomistic, instead of shooting down my ideas. I'm looking for a plan for the future. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For LA City you can take out the Microfiche for 60 minutes but cannot trace the screen. We did this to see an example of how a soil nail wall slope mitigation was done for the city. I can't believe how fast I could sketch a plan and details. The only way to pull plans like that is with a written authorization from the architect or owner of the project.

Other cities are not as strict.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

The rate you charge should be based on your abilities and experience in the field. It doesn't matter how new your business is, it matters what your own credentials are. If you don't have the credentials to compete reasonably, wait until you have them. Charging for free now will alienate you from everyone in the field and create a brand image of poor quality and incompetence.

Kalen Smith
Engineer-a-Business

1stTime,

I have 1 yr of bridge(while I was still in school) and almost 4 years of building design experience. I'll be sitting in April for the PE. The firm I work for does low rise, high-ride, residential, commercial, k-12, inductrial...you name it. I pretty much manage 3-4 jobs at any given time and at various stages... My goal is to open a consulting firm one day and I feel I need at least 10 yrs of solid design experience and I would never do it alone.

djh-

you have four years of experience and are managing 3-4 jobs by yourself at any given time? What size jobs are these? My firm will not let you manage any jobs until you have a PE unless it's a small, pretty simple job - but even then a PE is intimately involved and checking over decisions.

1stTime;

Technical skills are only about 40% of what you need to be successful consultant. You need many years of experience, marketing, website technology, small business accounting and people skills. All those skills can't be acquired in 3 years.

Your shortest path, in my opinion, would be to work for a very small but highly competent firm. If you can find an owner that is looking to retire in 7 to 10 years that would be better. Learn how they get work, how they price jobs, how they avoid difficult clients and how they prepare plans and calculations. Concurrently, subscribe to Entrepreneur magazine, visit read "Million Dollar Consultant" and "How to swim with sharks without being eaten alive" Also visit Barnes & Noble and read the just released small business books every few weeks.

Then you need to save about 18 months of living expenses + start up costs. It takes a while to establish a consulting practice.

When I went on my own the first time, I only had 8 years of experience under my belt. That business lasted 7 years. I was undefinanced and was lacking many marketing skills. Further, the locale where I lived was not growing.

This time around, I corrected all my previous errors but didn't forsee this deepcession!:) We survived due to marketing and willingness to take work few hundred miles away. It is very satisfying work. It is great that you know what you want-just over prepare and be patient.

p.s: Most of the succesful engineering firms were started by individulas in their late thirties to their mid forties.

For what it's worth, I think it's a good goal to start your own company. Too many engineers have that as a goal but then put limitations of "Once I have more experience" or "Once I've lined up enough clients" etc. etc.
And before long, 40s have come and it's too risky to go on your own.

At least when you are young, you can afford the risk. It may take more time to really get established but hey, might be worth it.

StructuralEIT,

The project sizes vary... Currently the largest is a 4 story commercial structure (design). Also, managing (2)large high schools in CA phase. I'm surrounded by PE's, everything is checked. Each project goes through a few layers of review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back