Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to pump to 2 different areas and maintain 2 different levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

cremora

Mechanical
May 13, 2004
ZA
Hi Guys
I have 1 pipe installations consisting of 3 filters to feed a large pool and a seperate installation consisting of 1 filter feeding a smaller pool. The large pool is heated and the small pool not, it is my intention to use the heated water from the large pool to feed the small pool using the one installation of the large pool.I intend tapping into the large installation and using the same pumps to feed the small pool and totally discarding the small pool filter installation.So far so good, my problem is the large pool is a lot higher than the small pool both in construction and in water levels. My question is how can i maintain the same installation and yet maintain the pools at 2 different water levels.
I have already decided i need 2 Non return valves and at least 2 valves to control the flow rate and 2 actuator valves should we have a pump failure.
This is now where you guys come in, can you advise any further and offer any suggestions which will help me and is it possible to do this as i have explained.

Looking forward to your expert opinions

Thanks guys and have a good day
Regards Cremora

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not bad, but here's another suggestion.

I'd try putting one manual, or solenoid actuated if you prefer, block valve, a check, then a pressure control valve at the pump discharge. Set that control valve to give you the head you need to go all the way to the high pool while passing the flow you need for both pools.

At the branch to the small pool, put a pressure (or maybe even better, a level) control valve to maintain that level (or the pressure and flow that you need going) there. In the branch to the large high pool, put a check to keep any liquid in the high pool from draining to the lower pool, if the pump fails. The check at the pump discharge will prevent backflows from both pools from going to the pump.

The control valve at the pump discharge could also be placed in the branch to the high pool (possibly with a level controller, if you prefer controlling the flow by using a level signal.

Not a whole lot of difference any way you want to work it out and I can't define a sure preference without knowing ALL the details.

Perhaps the following installation can be sufficient:
Install one pump below the small pool. The discharge line is routed to the bottom of the large pool. At the large pool install an overfall/overflow and connect this to the small pool.
Now it runs at follows: If pump is out of operation no flow occurs at all because large pool is not filled any longer and so overflow is empty. As soon as pump is switched on, large pool gets water and this amount of water flows downwards to small pool.

Kind regards

virk

Hi Big Inch & Virk
Thanks so much for your input (sorry for he delayed response)
I have to admit you have caused me to take a closer look at the installation. It does seem as though Big Inch is nearer the mark going off what i have explained, and your suggestion Virk would not be posible due to the fact i cannot have a visible solution in the pool area and that was similar to my first idea.
The other thing i didn't mention was the pool capacities, large pool 1.2 million litres and small pool 35,000 litres and the plant room is approximately 3metres below the pools. I have made provisions in my possible installation to revert back to the original design should the alteration fail.

My idea so far is to install 4 butterfly valves (2 on the discharge and 2 on the return lines of the small pool, this is basically for maintenance and /or reverting back to the original design)2 check valves to prevent water running back to the system,1 control/actuator valve in the discharge line of the small pool in case of power failure, 1 sight glass in each line to visibly see what's happening, water level of the large pool is already controlled by level probes so that isn't a problem and it is my intention to control the discharge and return flow with the butterfly valves.
That's it guys, so any more advice and or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so far for your help, if you would kindly leave your name and number in case it fails so i know who to send the account to hahahah,
Have a great day and best regards
Cremora

Here is another idea, connect a supply line(smaller dia. pipe) from the large pool heated pipe to the small pool supply line; and connect a return line(same size as the supply line) from small pool return line to the big pool return line. That way you have a constant amount of heated water to the small pool. Valve only for shut off. Suggest that you drawn a sketch of both installations for best fit of both suggested pipes and to insure proper circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back