Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to quickly I.D. a part as Magnesium 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bointucson

Aerospace
Sep 3, 2003
US
As a structures mechanic, it is often difficult to identify what fittings, in particular, are made of magnesium,other than the obvious "MAG" stamping on some. What are the quickest methods for identifying a part as such, and what are the proper methods for removal of corrosion and allowable limits for material loss (if any)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, the company line is you know the part is mag if the drawing tells you it's made from mag. If for some reason you don't have the drawing, an NDT technician should be able to determine the alloy.

I don't think there is anything special about removing corrosion from mag, scotch brite pads for mild corrosion and sanders for heavier stuff. Make sure you do your 20:1 length to depth blend ratio.

The SRM should be consulted to determine allowable limits. If no limits are published, Mic the part and check the drawing. You may show the part still is within drawing tolerance.

since I'm at a repair station, it's often difficult to have the drawings on hand, so your advice about using NDT to determine a parts composition is right on target! Thanks! Is this Phil Condit as in Boeing's Phil Condit?

most often corrsion is light, doing a density test would involve dissasembly time, time=money at a repair station, so the ndt would be our best bet, with a density check a close 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back