Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to raster image in catia?? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

soy

Aerospace
Nov 13, 2002
US
Greeting everyone.
I was trying to trace some lines on a photo picture of a boat into 2D drawing. I have learned of the online doc. to insert image by Sketch Tracer workbench. at the end of tutorial it says after I have created the impage product, it can be used in Generative Shape Design or Drafting workbench to add lines for tracer. However, if I try to use other workbench tools. it does not allow me to use the pic product that I created.
I might not following the correct process to create trace lines of a pic. but I came to a point that I can not figure it out myself anymore. any feedback will be greatly appriciated. Thank you inadvance wish you all for happy drafting

soy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

Strange, i am just working with Sketch Tracer.

This is how I do :

1) Create a product, then a CATPart.

2) in the CATPart, on the plane of the picture, open a new sketch and draw a rectangular form with the dimension you need. Like an overall dim.

3) Change to Sketch Tracer. Change the point of view to have the screen // to the sketch. !!! IMPORTANT !!!

4) Use the icon to get your picture.

5) Move the axis to the origin you want on the picture
... (in fact you are moving the Product and CATPart axis)

6) Rotate the axis to fit the axis of your picture

7) Use the Right clic on the double arrow (X and Y axis) and EDIT menu to set the size of the rectangular form of the picture.
Here i can just tell you that even if you work in inch, the value you see will be in mm (Typical French Bug)

8) Working with the EDIT menu, set the size of your picture

9) Then use the extreme small arrow to strech you picture to the CATPart sketcher.. Both dimension will change but that the way it goes.. dont panic

10) You now have put your Product origine to fit the one on your picture and get your axis in the right direction. You even scaled your picture to your Product.

11 ) go back in your CATPart and using GSD or FreeStyle, draw some point, line, spline.. Keep the screen // to the picture.

12) you will only see yout picture with material rendering.
you can have several picture on your product.
while setting up, pictures are // to the screen, so HAVE YOUR WORKING PLANES // TO THE SCREEN FOR SETTING UP PICTURE. (use Front view or top view...)
You can have picture // to TOP and other // to FRONT
You can drag with cursor a picture to another // position

Have fun,

Eric

catiav5@softhome.net

Hi Eric.

Thank you very much for such an excellent easy understandable steps and detailed info. I found out what I was missing and your leason has give me deeper understanding on the way how catia works. After I understand the process, I was able to expand the possibilty of work I can do with it.
I greatly appriciate you info

with best regards
soy

Hi again..

As many asked me more...

It is important to work in a Product to see your raster file.

You should have a tree like that :

CATProduct
** CATPart
* ** Body
* ** sketch
** Application
** your Picture Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back