Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to recognize phase A? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisimatza

Electrical
Nov 30, 2007
BE
Hi
I am disputing with a colleague:
I say : Phase "A" exists. every 3-phase system has a phase "A"
He says: Phase "A" is random. Important is just the rotation ABC, or BAC. You cant determine which is A.
I believe: every circuit has a phase A, that can be measured, and labeled as A.
If there is another source: transformer, Generator, etc: That has also a phase "A".
If you want to connect the 2 circuits(even through buscoupler), you have to connect A to A.

Question: if i am true, how can one measure which one is phase A ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glad to see that at least one person detected the Zappa reference...

Going to Montana now, my Dental Floss farm is in need of attention...

That is true, Smoked.

But I have found out that the colors(!) get mixed as the electrons go through transformers with Delta/Wye windings. And even more so if there are Z connected windings. One would need a considerable apparatus to make a spectral analysis to reconstruct from where the different spectral components (colors) come. It is like trying to find out if the human DNA really comes from the apes or from peanut butter.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

I've been scratching my head and still can't work out what the colours are if we use an open delta connection.

*confused from Australia*

Sibeen, Luckily you have a bit more time to figure it out before we connect you to the NA grid, meanwhile you can concentrate on getting all your generators up to speed.
My god pisimatza, you have caused this forum to melt-down.

jraef just be careful you don't wind the dental floss backward on the spool or your customers might be pushing food into their gums and not removing it. BTW Dweezle and Moon Unit both seem like good kids. This is the most inane thread I've seen on this site, keep up the good work!

Breaking News!

We do not stem from the Apes! That's for sure. A secret agreement was recently signed between UNAPE (United Nation Alternative Prehuman Exploration) and a hitherto (until tomorrow by noon, probably) secret consortium representing the primates, spokesman Oran Gutang says in a late message found floating around in a cocoanut. "We are glad not to be involved" he adds.

Former president (name witheld) Carter says he will make an announcement tomorrow (by noon, probably).

Gunnar Englund
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Oran Gutang...
Sounds like a good Swedish name.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Yes. But used to be Goran Utang. He changed name when he got his new job.

Gunnar Englund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back