Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove an unwanted window (kak.hta) during every start up of PC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elecband

Electrical
Apr 11, 2002
AU
My PC operating system is Windows 98SE. Every time I start the PC I get the window for kak.hta. The window can be closed by clicking on the "X" button on the top right hand corner. The PC works OK, but it is just annoying. I tried by removing this file from the start up directory and the batch file. But the kak.hta file reappears again during the next startup. What are the reasons for this problem and possible solutions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open up the registry editor by choosing :
Start>Run
then type "regedit" (without the quotes)

Once regedit is open browse to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Here you will see entries programs that are run on every start up. Delete the key for the program you are trying to get rid of.

Note: Make sure to have a backup of your registry before doing this as you can seriously mess up your system by modifying the wrong entry in the registry.

Hope this helps.
bbeep

Thanks bbeep for the tip. I tried your instruction. There are 2 "Run" sub directory (one is Run and the other is Run-). I could not find any obvous file in the Run. But I found a file with same extension (hta) in the Run-. I deleted this file, but no effect. Any other thoughts? Thanks anyway.

I can't remember if this works in Win98 but you can try.

Go to Start>Run and type "msconfig"
If it runs you will get a window showing your startup settings. Uncheck any options that you don't want.

dear elecband

if your confident enough using regedit then a simple way to get rid of the error is to start regedit in your run command and click on edit, find and type in kak.hta and let it search when it finds a value then press delete then press F3 it will then continue to search delete any value found and continue until it finds no more. Before you do this back up your registry and also go to CNET.COM and download a program called REGFIX it is made by microsoft and is free it will remove and fix any errors in the registry. hope this helps

P.S. also in the registry look for kak using the same method for a more thorough search

WHIZZ90

You have the kak worm. You should go to symantec or similar and get the removal tool. Regfix won't help. It does other stuff.

Oh and I'd buy an av programme too.

Thanks guys for the help. I haven't tried the REGFIX yet. But the other methods didn't work. I tried msconfig - and another kak comes back if I untick the earlier one. In regedit the find function could not locate the file at all. Looks like a clever bug and it can hide well. But, thanks anyway.

I agree you should get an anti virus program, i use Norton Antivirus as it comes with free updates for a year. Plus if you can spare a 100 bucks then it comes as part of a package called Norton utilities pro 2003 it also contains programs to clean and maintain your windows. It fixes most problems including Active X problems which u dont even know u have but can cause your windows to crash.

Try getting this software as it will stop most of your problems.

I dont suggest that u get a ripped or pirate version as they come with viruses built in.

Many many thanks to all of you and particularly to petermeachem.

I in fact went to symantec web site ( It has got very precise instruction on how to remove the kak worm and detailed expalnation on root cause and future prevention. It appears that Outlook express, internet explorer had some security hole which used to harbour this worm. This hole has now been fixed by Microsoft and the patch is available.

Anyway the problem is solved and thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back