Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove the part history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know you don't. You can export the model to a clean file if you want to, but there are few reasons why you would want to anyway.

Regards

Hudson

STEP will also remove parameters. I agree with Hudson that the best way is to export everything to a new file, giving a clean history.

A few options other than STEP that might work:

Copy the solid body to another layer, which should create just a dumb solid, then delete everything else and do a Save As to save as a new file name.

A Parasolid would probably be a faster translation compared to STEP.

You also might be able to use Edit Feature -> Remove Parameters.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Doing a Save As will not erase the file history.

If you aren't concerned about maintaining all of your part parameters and only need a dumb solid, parasolid is the best choice. Create the parasolid and then either open it directly or import it into a new file.

ewh,

I may have misled you with my wording.

The Save As was the last step, not the only step.

Creat a block then copy the solid with history to another layer using the Copy to Layer command (Format -> Copy to Layer). The history will not be retained in the copied solid using this command. It will create an unparameterized feature, which would now be shown as just a Body in the Model Navigator in NX4 & NX5.

Now you can delete the Block feature and have just a dumb solid block remaining. Move it to the appropriate layer and Save As....

;)

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ah, but the FILE would still retain its history, even though there would be no "feature" history. I'm under the impression that the OP was concerned about the file history.
When you "save as" and do an info->part history, you will still see every iteration.

Yeah...in that case, that would be true. When people say part history, they should probably clarify their intent (part modification history or the modeling history/parameters). I rarely think of the part modification history when asked that question.

I guess instead of deleting the parameterized solid, after copying to layer the user could then use Export Part to export to a new file and export the copied Body only.

Sorry for getting our wires crossed....we were on 2 different pages there.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Yep, the question could have been a little less ambiguous.
If keeping the part parameters is desired (I would want them for future mods), I still feel that a clean export of the part would be the way to go.

Bingos,
After reading the responses, let us know just what it is that you need to do.

Bingos, are you working at the same place i am and taking the assessment test? if so do not mess with the UG_ASSESS file that was created in Team Center. (Nathan will catch you if you try this) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back