Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to request warping of section as an output in ABAQUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siafor

Aerospace
Jan 28, 2020
IR
I modeled a thin-walled beam as a shell element that warps during buckling analysis. Now I want to know how much each node is warped. How can I find the magnitude? There is no warp command in the field and history output, although my model (I-beam) is an open-section beam. thank you for your attention.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is exactly you want to do with warpage information? Do you want Original position vs final position of nodes? This can be extracted using XY deformation data or directly using the "i"- node information for coordinates. There is no result output that can define warpage of element.

There is a WARP output variable representing warping magnitude in Abaqus but only for open-section beam elements so it may not help in this case unless you can switch to beam elements. For shell you would have to calculate the warpage manually using displacements and deformed/undeformed nodal coordinates (check the COORD output variable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back