Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to retain text font in a custom symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdlock

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2010
US
I attempted to make a custom symbol as part of our drawing border title block, but I cannot find the magic potion to retain the text font type (chosen to closely emulate our company logo).

When I insert an instance of my custom symbol the helios text font is replaced with blockfont.

Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My initial guess is that the helios font will have to be loaded in the part file that you are trying to use the custom symbol in.

Try creating a note and changing the font to helios, then try to insert the custom symbol. If that works you may have to update your template part(s) to contain the helios font.

If I define a custom symbol with helios font in it, then immediately place an instance of the symbol right in the same drawing, the font reverts to blockfont on the instance (while helios is still evident in the original text note).

It would be great if you (or someone) could try the simple test above on their system to let me know if it is just my system that does this.

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 7.5.2

When you add a custom symbol to your drawing, in the dialog at the bottom in the section titled 'Settings', make sure that the 'Annotation Preferences' option is set to 'Use Definition' instead of 'Use Current'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John, it was great getting to see you at Beta!

Anyway, 'Use Definition' is the selection I made originally, but it still swaps out my font when I place the custom symbol instance. How does this test out for you? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 7.5.2

Having every NX release since 14 on your machine has its advantages doesn't it :)

John, would you mind forwarding the PR contents and number when you get a chance?

Many thanks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 7.5.2

Those are internal PR's and can not be shared. However, if you contact GTAC and have them open one under your name, they will be linked and so any progress on one will automatically be reported to the holder of the others.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back