Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to reverse convert an executable file to excel file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemebabak

Chemical
Feb 8, 2011
US
How can I reverse convert an executable file to excel file? That is, this exe file was previously an xlsx converted to exe. How do I reverse it to xlsx?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

agree, unless you know exactly how it was "converted" in the first place, going back is pretty much impossible. What was converted, VBA code or a normal spreadsheet?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

There are self-executing "zipped" files which don't require a separate unzip program to unzip the file. Is this what you have? If so you just run the file and it unzips itself.

Jim.

IRstuff, the excel file contains VBA code and I do not know what software was used to convert it.

Jim, no this is not a self-executing zip file.

cowski, that did not work. The error message was, "Excel cannot open the file 'filename.xlsm' because the file format or file extension is not valid."

Folks usually protect their intellectual property/software by converting their spreadsheets to stand alone executable files using various programs. Have you contacted the software supplier? Why do you need to reverse compile it?

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

decompilation usually violates copyright.

OK, so to reiterate, it's an Excel file with a compiled VBA macro? You are generally out of luck. The whole purpose of compilation of VBA modules is specifically to prevent what you are trying to do. As compilation process results in at least two translations, it's highly unlikely that you can decompile it without the cooperation of the author. But, if you had the cooperation of the author, they would have just given you the original source code to begin with.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

When you call an external dll, there is no easy way to decompile even when it can be done. Additionally, many of these codes have software traps that confuse the decompilation process or make it enormously problematic.

You might contact the originator of the xlsx, or if you are competent in the field involved, create you own dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back