How to run a HP-Unix Based FEA Software on Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

vozgul

Automotive
Sep 27, 2000
TR
Hi,

I have an NT Workstation and there is FEA tool which only works on HP-UNIX operating system. How can I run it on windows 2000 platform? I searched some emulators on internet but I have a lot of dobths about them. The emulators are:

a) Interix
b) U/WIN
c) MKS Toolkit
d) Winaxe
e) Cygwin

Have you ever practiced one of these? What are your advises?

Sincerely

vozgul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmmm. I wasn't aware that such an "emulator" even existed.

No matter. Even if such an animal does exist... I don't think I'd trust it much.

I'd say... forget about it. Windows isn't very portable. If you want to run a program using Windows... that program should have been compiled using a compiler designed to create windows programs. I would never expect anything else to run on Windows. Heck... you're lucky to even be able to read a Unix generated file while using Windows. Even if you can find an emulator that actually CAN emulate Unix.... your program will likely run incorrectly ( if at all ), for reasons that are not the subject of this thread.

FEA software is tricky enough as is. Trying to mix Unix and Windows ( night and day ) is even trickier. If you want to use a Windows box... get some software made for Windows use.

Dan :)

Do you have access to a Unix box? You can run the routine on the Unix machine and import the results to your Windows box as an option. There are several programs that allow you to do this. I used Exceed while at Boeing.

Hii,

Thank you for your responses. The problem is that I don't have possiblity to find a HP-UX, SUN-UX, etc. in a short time. So I wonder if there is possibility to run a Unix based FEA software on a PC with relavent emulator.

Sincerely

vozgul

There are plenty of FEA programs that will run under Windows. Of course, like any FEA program. You may need more than a "short time" to learn how to use any such program ( goes for Unix as well as Windows programs ).

Dan :)

Winaxe appears to be an X-Windows client and as such cannot run a Unix application.

I suggest that you do some more research on the web.

TTFN

So far as I know the answer to the original question is pretty much no. Bear in mind that in addition to emulating the OS the code would also have to be compiled for an x86 processor.

The other solution would be to emulate the cpu it was compiled for, under the OS emulation. This sounds a tad inefficient.

I am not a programmer but, so far as I can understand it:

Interix is a compile time tool similar (to some extent to U/WIN)

U/WIN is a Unix compatible API for Windows, that is it intercepts UNIX calls and translates them into Windoese . It is not a run-time tool, it is for building apps.

MKS Toolkit likewise

Cygwin is what you are looking for, sort of. The problem is that it is a Linux emulator, and a program compiled for a specific Unix may not (I am tempted to write will not) run on a Linux, let alone an emulated Linux that is under development.

Even if that is solved that still leaves you with the cpu compilation problem.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back