Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to select part model sketch entities in assembly model

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmalinski

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2002
US
In a part model as a last step I created a plane and a sketch with a circle to be used to orientate the part in an assembly model.
In my assembly model, How do I select the sketch circle, to mate to the origin of the assembly? I show the sketch ok, but I can't select the circle or it's center point.

I tried searching for a solution but couldn't find anything

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Malinski
Dell Prec 670, Xeon 3.8,2GB Ram, Nvidia Quadra FX 3450/4000 SDI
SWorks Pro & PDMWorks 2007 SP3.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to just pick them.

If you can't see them, select the part's sketch in the feature tree, RMB and show.

If it's still not visible, check under "View" to make sure sketches are selected for visibility.

Thanks for your reply,
I can see the sketch entities when I show the sketch, but I cannot select them. I played around with the selection options in the options menu but had no luck with that either. I know I had this working in 2007 but not yet in 2008

EEnd, excuse my ignorance, but how do I create a coordinate system in the part? and then how do I mate that in my assembly?

Tom Malinski

Go to Insert > Reference Geometry > Coordinate System. You then select a point for the origin of the coordinate system, and some edges, lines axes, faces or planes to define the directions of x, y and z axes. You can then mate that coordinate system to the origin of the assembly.

Eric

I have this problem alot. The trick is to rotate the assembly so that the sketch you want to select has the part it is from behind it. You will then be able to select the sketch over top of the part. I dont know why Solidworks does this. You will notice that you can select the sketch over the part, but as soon as you try to select it where there is no part Solidworks just doesnt do anything. Its very frustrating.

tmalinsky and KITRACER,
Do you have Selection Filters selected?

KITRACER,
If the part is 'behind' the sketch, you are probably selecting features of the part rather than the sketch elements.

Can either or both of you post some images, files or (preferably) video of what you are seeing. As TheTick said, "You should be able to just pick them."

[cheers]

CBL, interesting thing happening. I am in another assembly file, creating a sketch at the assembly level and have no problem selecting sketch geometry from one of the parts to convert. I could not do this the other day to save my life. I can not seem to reproduce the problem I had. So anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions

Tom

Tom Malinski

Tom,

I usually always convert edges, etc of underlying sketch geometry.

I had this happen to me last week on some stuff I was working on. I do this all the time and could not get it to work with this particular set of files.

A system restart tends to help that, even better if I let it sit overnight. I think SW just gets stubborn at times.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP3.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

What I did last week to work around my problem was to go into the underlying sketch and place a point, constraining it to the arc center point.

Then I was able to go into the other part I was working on in the assembly and pick up the point to relate my new sketch geometry. A pretty easy work around.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP3.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

That works too Anna. I just hate to add entities to a sketch that arent needed. Plus if you later forget why that point is there and then delete it, then the mate will go bad. If you rotate the model just right, then usually you can select them. Maybe I should report this to my VAR? I think it might be functioning as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back