how to select stair wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exael

Structural
Feb 8, 2022
PE
Hello everybody,

I have a metal ladder with a height of 1.8m that weighs 150kg. and assuming a load of 400kg/m2 (according to standard). I want to convert it into a mobile ladder, how do I select the type of wheel to use? Could I use 1.0D + 1.0L or what other load combination to select the wheel with the reactions? (D: dead load, L: live dead).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This request may make perfect sense to someone - I don't understand the question. Is it possible to provide a sketch?

How to Select the Right Caster?
stair_tntyfe.jpg

Contact the ladder manufacturer and ask for a retrofit kit. There is so much liability associated with this kind of product that I would recommend against modifying it. If anyone is hurt on this, for any reason, it would come back to the ladder having an unauthorized modification.

You are probably not located in the US, but looking at rolling platform ladders, they are not very expensive. Buy a new one.

A ladder 1.8m (less than 6ft) weighs 150kg (330 lbs, sigh) ??!! My 28' ladder is probably no more than 20 lbs ?

If the live load is 400 kg/m2 ... what area do you use ? (the rectangle bounded by the castors ?)

Is it unreasonable to put the full load on each castor ? (ie spec a castor that can handle the full load) clearly conservative.
If this is too conservative, then 1/2 the full load, which is still conservative.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

A ladder 1.8m (less than 6ft) weighs 150kg (70 lbs) ??!! My 28' ladder is probably no more than 20 lbs ?

I think you've done your kg to lbs conversion backwards. 150kg = 331 lbs. I assume the weight includes the max live load (a heavy person standing at the corner of the platform).

Anyway, the floor capacity in kg/m^2 is not going to be useful here. To get the size and type of caster, which has a contact area that's only a few cm^2, you need the max pressure that can be applied to the surface (compression strength of the flooring material?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back