Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to show Treadplate pattern in Drawing view

Status
Not open for further replies.

newma

Automotive
Mar 11, 2011
CA
Hi guys ... Just wondering if there's anyway to show Treadplate or chequered pattern in solidworks drawing view in the hidden line mode?

I find many deatiled drawings for machines and chassis showing these finishes in standard drawings mode but can't find it yet in Solidworks.

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

newma The easyest way is to just show a small square, IE: 2"x2", and model that area in your plate to represent the pattern that you need over the whole area.Modeling the whole area is really a memory pig.

I've tried with the Hatch Fill patterns but it is not intelligent enough to identify surfaces in 3d views. it just didn't work!!

I'm a little confused now. Can you post an image of what you are trying to achieve?
Are you wanting to show the treadplate pattern in a 3D model, 2d drawing (orthogonal) or 2D drawing (isometric)?

Newma What do you want patterned? The top of the "H" and the cross bar? The sides also? Is that a channel weldment? Solid bar?
Is there a pattern out there that you can use for what you want? I have a book from my local vendor, called "stocks and services", lists various diamond plate patterns, extrusions Ect... All have a part # that this vendor uses.Again find what you can buy off the rack, model a 2"X 2" area to show pattern and part# and vendor. If not a stock pattern. do it the old fashoned way, MODEL the THING!!!

ArtL, this is a sheetmetal crossmember, as for the pattern issue I don't really need to reflect the exact pattern as supplied, I just need to show it in the drawing views so the assemblers and welders will now which part is diamond plate instead.

CorBlimerLimey, this method won't work in Hidden line mode

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back