Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to simulate one culvert insert into another culvert in HydroCAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxy2014

Civil/Environmental
Feb 9, 2016
US
Hello,

I want to simulate the case that one small culvert inserts into one bigger culvert at its middle point, does anyone know how to do this in HydroCAD.

Thank you so much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the suggestion, I already change the node number to be simple. I attached the updated HydroCAD.

So in my case, how to deal with the warning 90?

I changed the finer routing to 1, then warning 80 shows up. And I also use a shorter time span (0-30 hours), then warning 37 shows up.

Do you know how to there 3 problems?

Thank you.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6eee610b-d224-47dd-8094-085426f18ba6&file=MD-24_POI_3-Ex-3_-_Forum.hcp
Sorry, just type last sentence wrong.

Do you know how to solve the following 3 problems? please see the HydroCAD model in the attachment with updated node number.

[90] Warning: Pond 1P Qout>Qin may require smaller dt or Finer Routing
[80] Warning: Pond 2P Exceeded Pond 3P by 0.03'@12.45 hrs(4.22 cfs 0.110 af)
[37] Hint: Longer time span advised for full volumes

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8d9f8d09-8f6c-4fa1-9301-ef97705941e5&file=MD-24_POI_3-Ex-3_-_Forum.hcp
As I indicated before, warning 90 appears to be triggered by tailwater timing and does not indicate a routing problem in this situation. The peak outflow IS higher than the peak inflow because of a drop in the tailwater.

Warning 80 indicates a brief reverse-head situation which is not uncommon is storm sewer systems. You need to determine if there is a significant problem.

Hint 37 is just a HINT, not a warning. It's telling you that *IF* if want to report the entire runoff volume you need to use a longer time span. It's just a reporting issue, how you handle it is entirely up to you.

Again, please click each message for details. This will give full details.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back