Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to specify direction of surface roughness measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sa-Ro

Industrial
Jul 15, 2019
IN
Hi,

I would like to specify the direction of surface roughness measurement.

Ex: Consider a rectangle: 100 X 50 X 10.

Roughness measurement length: 4 mm

I need 0.8 roughness along 100 and 1.6 along 50 (or) 0.4 for each diameter of 10 mm.

If the probe measures the roughness along 100 side, roughness shall be less than 0.8 for 4 mm.

If the probe measures the roughness along 50 side, roughness shall be less than 1.6 for 4 mm.

If the probe measures the roughness for dia 10, roughness shall be less than 0.4 for each circle..

Standard roughness representation allows to specify the direction of lay (cutting instrument direction). But I need direction of roughness.

Thank you
Sathish Rosario

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you

The said document is described about how to measure surface roughness.

I need how to specify the surface roughness requirements including direction.

Sa-Ro,

See Fig. 5-4 in ASME Y14.36-2018. This was one significant change we made to that standard. There is now a way to indicate trace direction. Another significant change we made was that ALL parameters now go under the horizontal bar. That means Ra too.

Also, lay direction is not an indicator of trace direction, it's just a visual specification as to which direction the tool marks, if any, are to be on the part.

John Acosta, GDTP Senior Level

Hi

ASME Y14.36M-1996

4.2 Measurements
Measurements, unless otherwise specified, shall apply in a direction which gives the maximum reading; generally accross the lay.

The standard represents the measurement direction. It gives some idea about how to measure the surface roughness.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back