Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to specify preheat on a WPS? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan18

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2023
IN
A welder is making a test coupon for procedure qualification. The provisional WPS used for making the coupon specifies preheat of 150°C. Welder aims for 150°C, however – after a few passes the actually observed preheat rises to 200°C. Overall, preheat is observed to be in the range of 150°C – 200°C over the course of test coupon welding.

1. What temperature should be recorded on the PQR? 150°C? 200°C? Or, 150° to 200°C?

2. What minimum temperature can be specified on WPS? QW-406.1 says that ‘A decrease of more than 100°F (55°C) in the preheat temperature qualified’ attracts re-qualification. Can one specify preheat of ‘minimum 95°C’ on the production WPS then? (I am guessing this is not how QW-406.1 is intended to be used. If not, QW-406.1 needs rewording).

Similar questions exist for QW-406.3 too – for inter pass temperature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

r6155, the latest one.

Shane, you make a good point. I subscribed to this thinking too for 9 out of my 10 years experience. Then i chanced upon the CASTi book, which it must be said - is a treasure trove. It is hard to ignore the reasoning of the gentleman, at least from the Sec IX standpoint. I too had a hard time wrapping my head around Mr Houle's thinking. It is understandably tough to let go of long held beliefs.

Like i said, i have filed an interpretation. If the reply comes in the favor of what Mr Houle's discussion, then i think you'd have no option but to revise your long held understanding, Shane.

But i agree with you - this is a good time to quit prolonging this discussion. With due respect.
Cheers
Ethan

DekDee,i think you posted something and deleted it (i wonder why). Yeah, i own mewelding.com. I am a Sec IX enthusiast. Ever since i discovered Interpretations, i have been enamored by them.
It does look like Mr Houle's thinking needs further corroboration (or refusal) from ASME IX committee. Either way, the subject is quite interesting. Regards.

Ethan,
After a few beers I posted the interpretation you have noted on your website which quite clearly shows the ASME IX committee have a totally different interpretation to you and Mr Houle.
They quite clearly state a 400 degree F minimum preheat noted on the PQR may be recorded as a 300 degree F minimum preheat on the WPS.
They also noted you cannot have a preheat range on PQR as noted by you and Mr Houle.
Sorry, too lazy to go back and find the interpretation again :)
After a bit of reflection I realised we had both agreed to end the back & forth so I deleted my post.

Please remember code committees are made up of individuals - Mr Houles 40 year service is definitely noteworthy but the concensus of all committee members is more important than the opinions of an individual member. (regardless of whether they have created a CASTI publication)
I have been on 2 x B31.3 committees for nearly 10 years now and I can guarantee you discussions regarding interpretations are robust.
If the interpretation noted above was issued it was because the majority of committee members agreed with the response.
Cheers,
Shane

During production, things should be easy to understand for the welder and the inspector. Not as complicated as in this forum.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back