Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to test loading capacity (choking life) of filter paper. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypersion

Chemical
Apr 27, 2007
US
Hi,

I'm trying to filter a fairly thick Polyacrylamide gel (~52,000 CPS) though a Whatman sharkskin filter paper. I need a test to determine the loading capacity of the Whatman filter. I tried calling up Whatman, unfortunately they where no help at all. My original idea so to just tell the operators decide in process when to change the filter but that's obviously could lead to other problems. Each lot of gel is ~90L. Is there a web site or text book with some info on how to determine loading capacity? Or at least some more general information so I can design my own “quick and dirty” test.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about changeing the filter as soon as a certain delta P across the filter is reached? Easy to measure, easy to understand for operations. Ask Whatman what value they recommend.

Thanks epoisses. Differential pressure is a good idea but in my current setup the outlet is open to the enviroment. Making the measurement of pressure at that point impossible.

Then just measure inlet to filter. It is still the same as getting a dp you just need to worry with outlet. When inlet reaches pressure X then change or clean etc.

Filter testing is destructive. Apart from pressure difference, you can also note the time period for one batch and go on recording it till you find unsatisfactory flowrates. This will become a historical data to back up your filter replacement.

You can also try with a sample filter paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back