Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to tranfer assembly to part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saneryin

Coastal
Sep 21, 2006
CA
We have some product to be put online for our customers to download and assembly in their equipment.

I need the change our assembly file to a part file. Currently I am doing a quite stupid way,

step 1, save pro/e assm file to igs.
step 2, open the .igs in solidworks.
step 3, save the solidworks file into solidworks part file.
step 4, save the solidoworks part file as pro/e part file.

is there a shortcut to get this job done? I have hundreds of prole assemblies to be changed to .prt file.

Thank you for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am searching the forum...got some idea. I will ask again if necessary. Please delete this thread. I do not want to take the forums space by writing no-sense threads.

thanks

Can you shrinkwrap the assembly? If it isn't a big assembly, how about creating a dummy part, add that to the assembly and use merge to copy all the parts into the dummy part?

------------
Jason Williams
K Development, Inc.

If you customer has Pro/E then save the assembly as a shrinkwrap file but use the option Merged Solid under creation method. But you have to have advance assembly to have the shrinkwrap option.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

thank you orbit03 and heckler,

I tried both of your ideas, they all worked!

Heckley's method is just what I want. smaller file size, overall shape/profile appears and the customer can not pick up dimensions of every components to make drawings & send RFQ from our supplier or competitors.

Shrinkwrap is good... when you geometry is not too complex or you don't have too many parts.

A shorcut to your method:

Save asm in an IGES (flat);
Open IGES in ProE (as part);
Save the part.

This allways worked for me.

-Hora

I've usually found that step files work better compared to iges when exporting asseblies.

You can also open the Step file and Pro/E will ask if you want to open it as a part or assembly just like with the Iges files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back