Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to transition from PVC Force main to HDPE force main? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt5879c

Civil/Environmental
Oct 31, 2006
US
I have an 8" force main that is PVC that I need to transition to HDPE in order to do a directional drill for a section. How would I transition this pipe from PVC to HDPE and back? What type of coupling or transition collar?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A MJ adapter would work.

I usually spec out a larger HDPE pipe to meet similar internal diameters. So if I had an 8" pvc line and my HDD was 10" HDPE, my callout would look like this:

STA xx+xx, xxLT/RT, Construct:
(1) 2" Manual ARV
(1) 8" Plug Valve
(1) 8" 11.25-Degree bend
(1) 10" x 8" reducer
(1) 10" MJ HDPE/PVD Adapter

gt5879c,

The bend is to transition to the bore angle, which is typically 10 to 13 degrees downward at each end. A fabricated HDPE fitting is much more expensive than a "off the shelf" DIP fitting and probably quicker to procure. It's your choice.

The arv is to help vent the high points in your line. The bore creates 2 high points, one at each end. Some only put one arv on the upstream side, but I always specify 2 for improved maintenance. I suggest manual ARVs unless the utility specifies the automatic style.

molded flange adapter for the HDPE (the molded flange adapter will also need the heavy duty back up ring, red rubber gasket and 8 bolts)
flange to mj adapter (with PVC megalug gland, transition gasket and red rubber gasket and 8 tblots)

would be what I would use to connect PVC to HDPE, also be sure to check for material homogenialites between the flange adapter and pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back